MA in Environment and Society

Breadcrumb Navigation



Below you can find the answers to some frequently asked questions about the program.

Am I eligible to apply to the program?

The program is potentially suitable for students holding bachelor’s degrees in a range of related disciplines (including anthropology, geography, architecture, landscape architecture, urban planning, literature, history, law, political science, biology, ecology) equivalent to at least 180 European Credit Transfer System (ECTS) points or a comparative qualification from a higher-education institution in Germany, the EU, or overseas. Applicants must have a high level of proficiency in English (C1 or equivalent at the time of application). German language skills are not required. However, we highly recommend basic German language skills as they can enrich the student experience. Please also note that many program electives offered by other departments are taught in German and will therefore require German language proficiency.

When can I apply for the program?

Applications for the 2024/25 academic year will open on March 2024 and close on 31 May 2024. In order to apply, you will need to create an account on the Graduate Center Portal, which will remain open until the application deadline.

What language will the program be taught in?

The program’s core modules and some electives are taught in English. Very good English language skills, with the ability to demonstrate at least C1 level or higher according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (for example an IELTS/TOEFL test or a comparable examination), are a prerequisite for entry.

All electives offered by the teaching staff of the Chair of Environmental Humanities and the RCC are taught in English. However, many electives offered by other departments are taught in German and therefore require very good knowledge of the German language (C1 or above).

What is the difference between the new master’s program and the Environmental Studies Certificate Program?

The master’s program is a full two-year degree-granting program worth 120 ECTS points. The Environmental Studies Certificate Program is a 33 ECTS points certificate you can take in addition to a master’s program you are already enrolled in at LMU or another German university. The two programs deal with similar content and employ similar pedagogies. However, in the master’s program you will explore topics in greater depth and will experience interdisciplinary, field-based, and hands-on learning as a core component of your graduate education.

I already took courses in the Environmental Studies Certificate Program. Will I be able to count them toward the master’s program?

Yes, you will be able to transfer some of the ECTS points you have earned in the Environmental Certificate if admitted to the master’s program. Some certificate courses can be recognized as electives for the master’s program. Decisions will be made by the program coordinator on a course-by-course basis to ensure that necessary criteria are fulfilled.

Can I apply for the program now if I want to begin studying the next year?

You must apply directly for the year in which you wish to begin your studies. If you are accepted into the program but cannot begin in the semester for which you were admitted, you will need to reapply for admission in the following cycle. (You may resubmit the same materials, except for language tests that may have expired in the meantime.) We can only consider a potential deferral for health reasons or other genuine extenuating circumstances.

What proof of English language proficiency do you accept?

English language proficiency (level C1 of the European Framework of Reference and above) is required for admission. This level describes the ability to understand a wide range of demanding, longer texts; to express oneself spontaneously and fluently; and to express oneself clearly, in a structured and detailed manner even on complex issues.

Examples of valid proof of English proficiency include the following types of documents:

  • TOEFL iBT test, TOEFL Essentials;
  • Cambridge C1 Advanced certificate (formerly CAE);
  • IELTS;
  • Duolingo English Test;
  • telc English B2/C1 certificate with a C1 result;
  • a bachelor’s or other first university degree conducted in English obtained in an English-speaking country; if conducted in English but obtained in a non-English-speaking country, this must be accompanied by a verification from the corresponding university that it meets the standards of the C1 level;
  • native English proficiency.

We only accept current English language certificates. Please note that most English language certificates expire after two years.

Examples of non-valid proof include:

  • high-school graduation diploma, maturation examination (e.g. Abitur, A-Level (Advanced Level), International Baccalaureate (IB), Baccalauréat, Maturità, Матура, etc.) or similar showing English proficiency as part of secondary (high school) studies;
  • online examinations conducted with either proctoring or ID-check;
  • having taken some university classes in English;
  • having taken part in a university exchange such as Erasmus.

My English language test expired. Do I need to take a new one?

We are unable to accept expired tests as valid proof of language proficiency.

Are there tuition fees?

Our program does not charge fees. You will have to pay regular LMU Munich semester fees consisting of a student service fee payable each semester (currently EUR 85). These costs are the same for German, EU, and non-EU students. For more information, see LMU Munich.

Do I need to speak German?

German language skills are not required for the program. However, we highly recommend basic German language skills as they can enrich the student experience. Please also note that many program electives offered by other departments are taught in German and that you will need German language proficiency (C1 or above) to take them.

Level C1 of the European Framework of Reference describes the ability to understand a wide range of demanding, longer texts; to express oneself spontaneously and fluently; and to express oneself clearly, in a structured and detailed manner even when discussing complex issues.

Can I submit a high-school diploma/maturation exam as proof of language proficiency?

No, we do not accept any high-school diplomas or maturation exams (including Abitur, A-level (Advanced Level), International Baccalaureate (IB), Baccalauréat, Maturità, Матура, etc.) as valid proof of any language abilities.

What do I need to include in my application?

The documents necessary for your application are listed on the How to Apply page. International students must also apply with the International Office at LMU Munich and pay attention to additional application procedures.

What is the application deadline?

The application deadline for entry into the academic year of 2024/25 is 31 May 2023. Online applications must be submitted by 23:59 Central European Time on the day of the deadline, and hardcopies of the relevant application documents must be mailed on or before the day of the deadline.

What are the requirements for international students?

International students must submit all regular application documents to the program. In addition, international students must complete all application procedures required by LMU Munich’s International Office. Further enrollment requirements for international students from outside the EU, depending on the country of origin, can be found on the website of the LMU Munich International Office

What if I am missing required documents for the application process?

If you are currently completing a degree and do not have your final degree certificate in hand at the time of application, you can still apply. In this case, please upload a temporary equivalent of the missing document (for example, the latest transcript of records). Once you have received the missing document, please send a copy to the program coordinator.

Can I apply if I am still finishing my first degree?

You can apply to the program if you are currently in your last semester (or about to begin it) of your first degree. Your transcript of records will need to demonstrate that at least 150 ECTS points or equivalent (roughly equal to five semesters in a standard three-year program) have been completed at the time of your application. If you are admitted to the program, your acceptance will be provisional pending the successful completion of your degree. You will be required to submit your final degree certificate or an official confirmation of your degree completion to the program coordinator prior to the start of the master’s program.

Do I need to submit certified true copies of my diploma/documents?

Certified translations may be needed as part of the admission process; certified true copies of your documents will be required if you are admitted into the program. More details can be found below.

As part of the admission process:

  • If your degree/transcript of records is in English, German, or a Roman language, you do NOT need to submit a translation.
  • If your degree/transcript of records is in any other language, you need to submit it along with a certified true translation. Please see definition below.
After admission into the program, you need to send certified true copies of your degree/transcript of records—along with the certified true translations, if applicable—to the program coordinator by post (via ordinary mail). 
A certified true copy or translation is a copy or translation of a document that is certified to be a true copy or translation of the original, thus not edited or forged in any way. Depending on the country, certification of copies or translations are issued by the respective university, embassies, police stations, a notary public, or (state or municipal) administration agencies. Only someone who has the legal authority to do so can certify documents as true copies or translations. People who cannot certify documents as true copies or translations include family members, those living at the same address as you, or those in a relationship with you.

Is it still possible to consider my application after the deadline?

No. For consideration, online applications must be submitted by 23:59 CET.

How are applicants selected for admission?

Applicants are selected based on their ability to fulfill all admission criteria as stipulated in our admissions regulations. Applications are reviewed by a committee consisting of several faculty members, at least two of which are part of the core teaching faculty in the environmental humanities.

How long does the application-review process take?

Applicants can expect to receive a decision on their application within eight weeks of the deadline. Please refrain from contacting us for a decision within that period. We process all applications as quick as possible.

Can I study this program part-time?

No, part-time studies are not possible.

Which documents do I need to submit for enrollment?

After you have received a formal admission offer from us, you will need to complete your registration directly with the LMU Munich admissions office. The required documents include your admission confirmation, certified copies of all relevant documents submitted as part of the application process, ID/passport, and German health-insurance information.

Further information on registration and enrollment procedures can be found here.

What can I do with this degree?

On completion of the MA in Environment & Society, students will have career prospects in a variety of fields. These include leadership positions in entrepreneurial initiatives and in public service; positions in international organizations; business consultancy and policy advice; journalism and (digital) media; art and curation; and inter- and transdisciplinary research positions in academia and beyond. Graduates of the program will also be qualified to apply to conduct doctoral research in leading universities across the world. The RCC’s existing partnerships with numerous environmental experts can provide students in the program with various internship and career opportunities. Students will also be joining the wider community of the RCC alumni networks with more than 350 members and spanning a wide variety of professional spheres of environmental work.

What is the basic structure of the program?

The program takes four semesters to complete. Students take eight mandatory core modules (including the Final Module) adding up to a total of 84 ECTS points:

  • Introduction to Environment and Society (9 ECTS);
  • Lecture Series: New Directions in Environment and Society (6 ECTS);
  • Research Methods in Environment and Society (6 ECTS);
  • Representation and Outreach (6 ECTS);
  • Environment and Justice (9 ECTS);
  • Critical Perspectives in Environment and Society (9 ECTS);
  • Landscapes and Urban Environments (9 ECTS);
  • and the Final Module (30 ECTS) in their last semester.

For the remaining 36 ECTS points, students may choose from a range of electives listed in LMU Munich’s course catalog. The program electives relate to the following focus areas: environmental humanities, politics & social sciences, sustainability & environmental sciences, and practice & outreach.

For more details on the program’s  structure, see the pages describing its core modules and electives.

Will I need to move to Munich?

Yes. Our core modules will be taught in person. Field-based learning is an important component in many of the program’s core courses.

LMU Munich is fully compliant with COVID-19 regulations in Bavaria.

Will the program provide accommodation?

No, we cannot provide accommodation. Further information on enrollment for international students and accommodation as well as life in Munich can be found on the pages of LMU Munich’s International Office.

Is financial aid available?

We do not offer financial aid. However, as an international student, you are eligible for several scholarships and funding opportunities throughout the State of Bavaria and Germany. You can also count on the support of institutions like the Munich Student Union.